This long village by the upper course of the Brtníky Brook was first mentioned in writing as early as 1346. Its name is derived from an archaic Czech term for collecting honey. Brtníky is now part of Staré Křečany.
The Baroque St. Martin Church, which was originally situated in the centre of the village, was demolished in 1975, and only the cemetery surrounding the original church has survived. There is a Calvary with ten stations and two chapels on the nearby Mlýnský vrch (Mill Hill, also called “Cross Hill”).
There are many valuable examples of vernacular architecture. It is the starting point of trips into the National Park and its surroundings. The Brtníky ice-falls situated in the Vlčí potok (Wolf Brook) Valley are very popular in winter.
- Towns and villages