The church was built by Prince Anthony Florian of Liechtenstein in 1683–1690. The building of the monastery was completed in 1684 and the church in 1686. The church was consecrated on 9 April 1690 by the Count Jaroslav of Šternberk, Bishop of Litoměřice. The painting on the main altar depicts deacon Lawrence, who was martyred in Rome in 258. The author of the painting is Spaniard Juan Fernandez Navaretto (1526–1579).