The village of Janov did not have its own church, so the local people went for religious services to Arnoltice. We do not know when the listed chapel Janov was built, nor who it was designed by. The chapel is not even listed in ledgers of small monuments from the beginning of the 19th century. The building was definitely there at the end of the 18th century, as it is mentioned in the commemorative book of the parish of Arnoltice.
This simple late Baroque rectangular municipal chapel with its small bell tower was consecrated to St. John the Baptist. The saint’s name day was celebrated in Janov before the Second World War on 24th June. The niche in the front wall originally contained a small statue of St. John of Nepomuk. After 1945 this evidently led to the erroneous assumption that the chapel was consecrated to St. John of Nepomuk.